Microsoft Excel training workshops are our most popular offering. We spend the majority of our time on Training or Researching topics, applications, techniques and new advances in Spreadsheet development. All our workshops in Excel are customized to better address your particular audience needs and levels of proficiency.
Hands-on Classroom Training
Intermediate level Excel – One Day Hands-on Workshop
A workshop covering a broad range of topics for those at a basic or intermediate level of proficiency.
INTERMEDIATE EXCEL TRAINING:
When learning on-the-job, Excel users understandably develop familiarity with those features that impact their output and jobs. This workshop is designed to give such users a good grounding in a broad range of features and techniques that includes productivity techniques in data management, getting familiar with the advanced aspects of data analysis and formula building like nesting, using multiple functions together, building interactive formulas, economy in formula building, proper referencing, tapping into the power tools like Pivot Tables and linking to spreadsheet data in other Office products. Participants will work hands-on along with the facilitator on a practice data-file with supplied examples.
- Learn techniques for linking data and data interchange across data files
- Learn how to Group Sheets for simultaneous data entry, formatting, editing, find & replace and more
- Understand data types, and the options for handling dates, times and other kinds of data, and how to use them in formulae
- Learn how sheet protection can help you build spreadsheets which allow user input in selected areas while protecting formulas and other linked cells
- Learn how to use key functions like SUMIF, COUNTIF, Date functions, Time functions, and others to summarize data effectively and build useful spreadsheet tables
- Learn how to create PIVOT TABLES from raw data and how to manipulate them
- Building professional charts – key concepts in making building and formatting charts well
- Many other productivity tips, tricks, techniques and speed shortcuts that can increase your speed and output significantly.
Accelerated Advanced Training in Excel – One Day Hands-on Workshop
This workshop is designed for users who are fairly proficient in Excel and regularly engage in tasks that require large amounts of data processing, analytics, and reporting.
ACCELERATED ADVANCED EXCEL TRAINING
This workshop is designed to give participants an accelerated understanding of how to use several features of Excel in combination, and so perform a variety of highly complex reporting and analytical tasks with ease. Work hands-on on a sampling of examples that will include key data management techniques, work critical Lookup, Math, Text, and Logical functions for building large formulas, take a power-look at some advanced techniques for analysis and reporting using Pivot Tables, and explore key concepts like array formulas, creative formula techniques and other productivity tips and tricks. Participants will work hands-on along with the facilitator on a practice data-file with supplied examples.
- Data Management; Data cleanup using Text functions
- Creating dynamic datasets
- Advanced formula techniques using Names; Interactivity in formulas; Creative referencing.
- Introduction to Array formulas
- Exploring key functions for Lookups; Functions for Data Slicing, Functions for Rolling Reports
- Powerful Pivot Table techniques that explore interesting ways to analyze data that include powerful field manipulations and different ways to summarize data.
- Get plenty of productivity and quality Tips and Tricks on printing, spreadsheet building, keyboard shortcuts, and discover other little-known tricks.
Immersion Training in Excel – Two Days Hands-on Workshop
A detailed workshop covering in-depth data management, analysis, charting/dashboarding, what-if analysis, budgeting, planning, forecasting, and reporting.
IMMERSION TRAINING IN EXCEL
It is the ability to creatively combine the various features, functions, and tools in Excel that distinguishes the Power- user, and makes short work of a variety of organizational data-related tasks. This workshop is designed to give participants a deep understanding of how to use advanced features in combination, with excercise that will cover data management techniques, advanced function-based formula building, and analytical tools like Pivot Tables in depth. Also explore power-concepts like the use of logical expressions for conditional and analytical tasks, array formulas, and many other productivity tips and tricks. Participants will work hands-on along with the facilitator on a practice data-file with supplied examples.
- Speed and Productivity techniques – Understand Data Management techniques, Data manipulation, Productivity shortcuts for spreadsheet management, navigation and reporting
- Power Techniques – Explore Custom number formats for reporting while maintaining data integrity; Tools for organizing and summarizing data; Creative referencing and 3D references; Dynamic self-expanding datasets; Managing data through Validation
- Formula driven analysis – Using names in spreadsheets; complex formulas with functions –LOOKUPs, OFFSET, SUMPRODUCT, INDEX and many more Text, Date, Math, and Database functions.
- Power Analysis Tools – Create multi-tier Pivot Tables; Pivot Table Formula Fields, Data Analysis through a Pivot Table
- Reporting Techniques – Learn how to link to other Office programs; Charting Techniques; Protection; Linked Picture reports; Advanced conditional formatting.
- Analysis support tools and techniques – Learn how to work with large datasets and build complex queries using the Advanced Filter; Use Data Validation with Functions for user-interactivity, Use Goal Seek, and many more tips and tricks for increased productivity and effectiveness.
Advanced Charts, Data Presentation, and Dashboards – One Day Hands-on Workshop
In this workshop we look at various techniques that use multiple features of Excel to make powerful charts, advanced pictorial representations, management dashboards, and bring conditionality to chart displays.
ADVANCED CHARTS AND DASHBOARDS
Charts and Dashboards have become a critical part of management reporting and analysis in the last decade. In this workshop we look at various techniques that use multiple features of Excel to make powerful charts, develop advanced pictorial representations, slice and dice large datasets, build management dashboards, bring interactivity to spreadsheets, and introduce the concept of conditionality in chart displays. The seminar will cover many non-standard advanced chart types used in Financial Reports, Management Dashboards, and Project Management Reports. We will work hands-on and build a variety of charts that will bring a new standard of professionalism to your management reports, presentations and analysis. Participants will work hands-on along with the facilitator on a practice data-file with supplied examples.
- Explore critical concepts in chart selection and development for effectiveness in charting
- Effective data configuration for creating non-standard charts – benchmark charts, thermometers, pictorial charts, Advanced Gantt charts, multiple indicator vertical chart, waterfall chart, and more
- Combine key functions like Sumproduct, with data validation, for data slicing and creating interactive secondary dashboard tables
- Learn creative dashboard concepts by creating a dashboard of various charts and numerical data, with professional look and feel
- Combine annotations, functions and formulas for charts that display conditional elements based on decision rules
Focus on Functions and Formulas – One Day or Half Day Hands-on Workshop
Depending on the duration, the workshop covers Advanced Lookups, Error Traps, Slicing Data, Dynamic Formulas, Database Formulas, and more.
FOCUS ON FUNCTIONS AND FORMULAS
The wide range of Functions available in Microsoft Excel provides wonderful avenues for solving complex analytical, planning and reporting tasks dynamically. Using functions well can enhance output, improve productivity greatly, reduce manual activity make short work of data-intensive tasks. Participants will work hands-on along with the facilitator on a practice data-file with supplied examples that include single variable lookups, two-variable lookups, dynamic formulas and rolling reports, conditionality and data slicing, error trapping in lookup-based formulas, single cell array formulas, multi-cell array formulas, using array constants in formulas, and critical formula concepts like naming, using complex criteria in logical expressions, and other concepts for building large and complex formulas easily. Participants will work hands-on along with the facilitator on a practice data-file with supplied examples.
- Understand how to use names and explore useful techniques with names for building complex formulas easily and effectively
- Introduction to Array formulas and Array constants for flexibility in complex analysis and summarizations of data that use multiple calculations in one formula
- Explore large dataset analysis through structured query building and database functions
- Go beyond traditional lookup formulas and explore two-variable lookups, going beyond limitations of vlookup, error trapping using information and logical functions and more
- Understanding Rolling reports and dynamic calculations using functions such as OFFSET and others
- Explore how to craft logical expressions and use them for data analysis within Math functions for data analysis
Some Topics will not be covered in the half day version of this course
Focus on Pivot Tables – Half Day Hands-on Workshop
This workshop is aimed at giving participants a deep understanding of how to use advanced features available in Pivot Tables and how to use them for advanced analytical abd reporting tasks.
FOCUS ON PIVOT TABLES
Pivot Tables have long been known for their power and versatility. In recent editions of Excel, Pivot Tables have become more user-friendly to create and use, with many new capabilities and powerful options. While some features of Pivot Tables are readily apparent and well documented, the real power of Pivot Tables is unlocked when users begin to combine their features with other tools and functions in Excel. This workshop is aimed at giving participants a deep understanding of how to use advanced features available in Pivot Tables and how to use them for analytical tasks and reduce the need for manual operation. Participants will work hands-on along with the facilitator on a practice data-file with supplied examples.
- Setting up primary data sets properly for effective use of data in Pivot Table generation
- Understanding various techniques such as the Format as Table, in preparing data and self-expanding data ranges for Pivot Tables enabling inclusion of new data into the Pivot Table dynamically
- Building multi-tiered Pivot Tables and understanding the various options and techniques in field manipulation including drilling to details, and value field summarization options
- Adjusting Pivot Tables for reporting requirements using techniques like Field Grouping, Date field grouping, Table filters, Auto sort and filter.
- Working with field manipulations in Pivot Tables using Calculated fields and Calculated Items for powerful analysis of summarized data
- Understand Pivot Table options including formatting, GETPIVOTDATA references, layout options and more.
- Many more tips and tricks to make the most of Pivot Tables in your spreadsheet.
Essentials of Excel and PowerPoint for Leadership – One Day Hands-on Workshop
This workshop is designed with two objectives: to help free up leadership time for the same amount of output, and to give business leadership a deep understanding of what they can expect from their team in terms of analysis and reporting when these software are used together.
ESSENTIALS OF EXCEL AND POWERPOINT FOR LEADERSHIP
Effective leaders take steps to ensure they can lead on many fronts. Technology is one of these, and the power of Office productivity applications today, can augment leadership activity immensely. This workshop is designed with two objectives: to help free up leadership time for the same amount of output, and to give business leadership a deep understanding of what they can expect from their team in terms of analysis and reporting. Participants will work hands-on along with the facilitator on a practice data-file with supplied examples.
- Learn powerful techniques in Excel for quick and handy on-the-run summarizations of data through Outlines, Subtotals, and Consolidation
- Pivot Tables –enhanced data summarization using Pivot Tables with advanced techniques like field grouping, formatting, field summarization options and more.
- Understanding good spreadsheet practices and key features for effective organization spreadsheets – sheet protection, formatting, spreadsheet track changes and review.
- Quick review, analysis, and reporting techniques with conditional formatting built-in features
- Powerful tips , tricks and shortcuts for enhancing your speed and productivity in spreadsheets
- Using Word and PowerPoint together for rapid presentation development – develop fully formatted slide decks in minutes
- Create Linked dynamic presentations that update when the data they reference from spreadsheets changes.
- Learn critical techniques like Presentation Multi-monitor viewing while delivering presentations
- Learn important shortcuts and techniques for presentation management for seamless and masterful non-linear presentation delivery
Fully Customized Workshop – One Day/Two Day/Half Day
Do you have a workshop need that does not fit these descriptions above? If so we can customize one for you from the ground up; including carry out personal or online pre-workshop needs assessments.
Fully Customized Workshops – Examples
Here are some of the fully customized workshops we’ve built for other clients – if one of them appeals to you, let us know and we can send you more details.
- Excel for Decision Making – focusing on strategic planning and decision making tools and techniques
- Data Driven Presentations using Excel and PowerPoint
- Excel and Outlook workshop for experienced finance professionals
- Essentials of Microsoft Office – Excel, Word, Outlook, PowerPoint – two day workshop
- Excel & Outlook for Administrative Assistants
Good to know – Information about these courses
- All courses are hands-on workshops unless you choose otherwise
- All courses include hard-copy course materials and practice data supplied in advance
- Pricing – we operate on a fixed per-day price basis (based on a certain participant level). Contact us for details.
- Location – Currently offered within North America only – onsite or offsite
If you have a large number of geographically scattered staff – you can opt for any of the above workshops to be conducted online. Online workshops may be conveniently split into 2 hour or 4 hour modules per day
Alternatively, you can ask your staff to attend one of our regularly scheduled online courses. If you have more than 3 people attending an online course, discounts apply- contact us for details. Take a look at some of our Upcoming Online Courses.
The following terms: Microsoft®, Excel®, Pivot Tables®, PowerPoint®, Access®, Office®, Word®,and Outlook® are registered trademarks of Microsoft Corporation.